Saturday, August 15, 2015

WEEK 1 : Bribie to Bundaberg

WEEK 1 : Bribie to Bundaberg
Sat 8 Aug : Bribie - Mooloolaba
We left our new mooring buoy at Bribie Island at 6.40am. Motor sailed and arrived Mooloolaba at 12.45pm. There were a few shallow spots but we continued on down the river and finally found a place to anchor amongst a lot of other boats. We went ashore and walked down to the sea front. The place was buzzing and so busy. Rosie enjoyed seeing all the people. We went ashore again later in the evening and I took Rosie for a walk while the skipper got some tasty fish and chips. We put Bob and the outboard on board and had an early night. A very pleasant day.
Miles: 32

Sun 9 Aug : Mooloolaba - Inskip Point
We departed in the dark at 4.35am wending our way through unlit boats with the skiper at the front with a torch and the crew at the helm yelling I cant see! When we got into the river proper the crew went forward with the torch while the skipper took us out. It was really cold and I didnt take my beanie off til 2pm! Overcast, lumpy, sloppy seas - uncomfortable long day. Saw some whales further out breaching and some tail slaps then a whale about 50 metres away. Then one came up about 10 feet in front of us and swam in front of the boat. We had to take a sharp turn to port to avoid it! Saw some more breaching whales as we came round Double Island Point heading for the Wide Bay Bar We had the co-ordinants for the crossing but noticed on the chartplotter that other boats had gone further north. When we got to that point there was breaking surf where we were supposed to go so the skipper also took us about 200 metres north and then it was what they call the mad mile. A mile which goes on the inside of the surf breaking on a sandbar - much rocking from side to side! We were very happy to anchor at Inskip Point at 3.45pm.
Miles : 62 Total This Trip : 94 miles

Mon 10 Aug - Inskip Point
We went ashore and Rosie just ran and ran like the joyous little dog she was when she was young. It was so lovely to watch. We then walked long the sand flats where she kept her eye open for fish to catch. But we had to carry her back! Her enrfgy was spent! It was a lovely day - still a chill wind but sun shining and a lovely spot. Very different to how we felt the last time we were here trying to get home! We went ashore again in the afternoon and had an early night. A strong wind warning has been issued for Wednesday so we will have to move.

Tues 11 Aug - Inskip Point - Gary's Anchorage
We left Inskip at 6.30am in a pea soup fog. Couldnt see a thing. The beanies came out again! We followed our track from our previous trip and motored against the current to Gary's Achorage. It was a falling tide but the lowest we went down to on the way in was about 1.3 metres under the keel so all good. There were quite a few other boats in so we anchored in the middle of the channel. We went ashore and met a few other boat crews, one of whom also had a small friend like Rosie. We walked along the shore. Such a lovely day. Interesting to see a few people have little friends. In the afternoon it came up very windy and with wind agains tide boats were going every which way. A couple had to reanchor and a couple left to find a better spot. We are now tucked away here awaiting the big blow. Hopefully it wll be strong enough to keep us all facing the same way.
Miles : 13 TTT : 107

Wed 12 Aug - Gary's Anchorage
It was like a millpond this morning so we took Rosie ashore. The strong wind warning is still current for tonight. Wind came up around 10am and blew quite strongly. Had a reading day. We took Rosie ashore and got soaked on the way back. Lightning all around us in the evening an then it rained. Very blowy but ok. A good night.

Thurs 13 Aug - Gary's Anchorage
Still a strong wind warning but like a millpond. We went with Sasu to Water Music (a most beautiful Catelina 44) for morning tea and good company. Saw a dingo on the beach where we have been taking Rosie in so took her further up below the cliffs. No wind at all. Quiet night, very cold.

Fri 14 Aug - Garys Anchorage - Kingfisher Resort
Took Rosie ashore at 6.30am and we left at 7am and followed our track out. Came through the Great Sandy Straits and our previous track (on the chart plotter) was very useful. Came through the shallowest spot at full tide and continued down past the resort and anchored. A dugong dived in front of the boat and we had heaps of large turtles surfacing. Took Rosie ashore and played ball till we wore her out. Back to the boat and sat on the deck reading in the sunshine. Such a beautiful day. The dugong surfaced and we saw its head and whole body - amazing! Another boat took their friend ashore and then we could hear a dingo howling. They came back to their boat an we saw the (vey well fed looking) dingo walk along the beach to where they had been and it just lay there howling for a bit. It is very cold when the sun goes down and we can still hear the dingo howling.
Miles : 21 TTT : 128

Sat 15 Aug - Kingfisher Resort - Bundaberg
It was very cold when we left at 6.30am thinking we would have enough wind to blow us to Bundaberg but it dropped out after a couple of hours and it was a motor job after that. However, a beautiful day and flat seas. The sea was sparkling on the water like thousands of little diamonds. We have discovered that we have lost all our tracks for our travels further north from here so will have to make new tracks!!! by the way, no fish yet!!! Arrived Bundaberg Burnett River at 4pm and took a desperate Rosie ashore Currently sitting peacefully in the river as the sun goes down.
Miles: 53 TTT : 181

To follow us check out and look for boat Pacific Express